Our hospital recently had a presentation by one of our dietitians for healthier holiday eating, and I sent them a list of some of my favorite recipes. I thought perhaps my readers might enjoy, too!
- Romaine salad with leftover turkey (or Tofurky/Field Roast if you’re a veggie) The dressing can be blended in a blender (omit the French bread and it’s a light turkey salad!)
- A+ Green Bean Casserole– Sautéed yellow onion, walnuts, and whole grain croutons instead of fried onions. Veggies like myself can use vegetable broth.
- Sophie Dahl’s Apple/Blackberry crumble You can use seasonal apples and frozen, defrosted blackberries. If you eat gluten-free, you can use Bob’s Red Mill GF Rolled Oats and any GF flour you have on hand!
- Candice Kumai’s Peach Crumble (this topping is actually light on the dairy, too) You can use frozen, defrosted peaches (no cans! No syrup!).
- Candice Kumai’s “hot stuff” Spinach Artichoke Dip: I use frozen, defrosted leeks from Trader Joe’s instead of onions- $1.99 for a bag. You can use carrots and celery instead of bread if you want to have fewer carbs. Whole wheat baguettes or light pita chips are also yummy 🙂
Feel free to comment with some of your favorite holiday delights!